visit musarch.com
Copyright © 2017 by the Wheeling Historical Society ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: Curator@WheelingHistoricalSociety.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Wheeling Historical Society & Museum
Wheeling Historical Society & Museum
Fire Department Display
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Appraisals
  6. Provenance
  7. Notes

Details

Object ID 004648

Object Name Fire Department Display

Object Desc History of the Fire Department See the NOTES tab for more information about the history of the fire department.

Collection Museum Collection

Accession # 20140921.160605

Alternate ID

General Category History

Category Museum Display

Source Museum Staff

Source Category Staff Research

Accession Date JUL 11,2017

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location M-DC-02

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status In Collection

Object Keywords 0000,Fire Department,Museum Display,Display,history,


Title Fire Department Display

Description

Collector

Approx Collection Date

Height 0

Length 0

Width 0

Depth 0

Diameter 0

Circumference 0

Weight 0

Unit of Measure

Dimension Details

Quantity 0

Material

Site

Site Details

Place of Origin

Maker

Maker Details

Maker Mark

Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption

Description

Conditions

Events

Date JUL 18,2017

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to M-DC-02 from M-DC-06 - automatic entry by admin


Appraisals

Provenance

Notes

Date AUG 8,2017

Notes 1- WHEELING'S FIRE DEPARTMENT According to research, the first move toward fire protection was made on April 6, 1896. On that date, a committee of three was appointed to investigate the subject of fire protection and its estimated cost. With nothing accomplished by June, another committee was selected to investigate various chemical and other fire extinguishers and Report back to the Village Board. The committee consisted of Sir. Christ Metz, John Forke, and William Fassbender. Following the recommendations of these men, the Board ordered certain equipment and on September 11, 1896, it was delivered at the Wisconsin Central Railway freight office. The Fire Department was to be allowed the use of the Village Hall for their meetings and a fire bell was purchased from Fassbender and Arnold for $27.40. The Constitution and By-laws of the Wheeling Fire Department, as adopted on September 30, 1896, allowed for the following fire bell signals: Regular or Special Meetings... ringing of bell and three strikes of alarm hammer; Company's practice... ringing of bell and five strikes of alarm hammer. Fire alarm...continuous fast rapping of the bell, then signal for the division of the Village. The Divisions of the Village and signals were : From the Southern line to crossing of Mr. E. Wagner's residence... ringing of bell and one strike of alarm hammer; From center of Village to corner of Dundee Road..ringing of bell and two strikes of alarm hammer; From corner of Dundee Road to Northern line...three strikes of alarm hammer; From corner of Dundee Road west... four strikes of alarm hammer. At the inception of, the Fire Department, most of the towns prominent citizens participated as Volunters which was a tradition for many years.


Date AUG 8,2017

Notes 2- The First officers of the Wheeling Volunteer Fire Department consisted of the following; Mr. Christ F. Metz, Fire Marshall; J.A. Schminke, Asst. Fire Marshall; Frank Forke, Second Asst. Fire Marshall; W.R. munnenke, Secretary; W. Riswig, William Fassbender and Tony Bel, n, Foremen of the various companies. According to the record of minutes of the meetings of the Department, Mr. Reinhold Schneider assumed the duties of Secretary at the meeting of April 23, 1900, and held the post until the 8th of August, 1927. ******************