visit musarch.com
Copyright © 2017 by the Wheeling Historical Society ·  All Rights reserved ·  E-Mail: Curator@WheelingHistoricalSociety.com
Home   |   By Name   |   By Keyword   |   By Category     
Wheeling Historical Society & Museum
Wheeling Historical Society & Museum
Wheeling Cook County History
  1. Details
  2. Images
  3. Conditions
  4. Events
  5. Appraisals
  6. Provenance
  7. Notes

Details

Object ID 004642

Object Name Wheeling Cook County History

Object Desc See NOTES tab to view the complete document

Collection Museum Collection

Accession # 20170718.111800

Alternate ID

General Category Documents

Category Documents - General

Source Donor Unknown

Source Category Staff Research

Accession Date JUL 18,2017

Credit/Acknowledgement

Location UNKNOWN

Object Date

Start Year Range

End Year Range

Status In Collection

Object Keywords 0000,Cook County,History,Wheeling,


Images

(click for full image)

Image Caption

Description

Conditions

Events

Date JUL 18,2017

Summary Status change

Notes Status changed to In Collection from In Collection - automatic entry by admin


Date JUL 18,2017

Summary Location change

Notes Location changed to UNKNOWN from UNKNOWN - automatic entry by admin


Appraisals

Provenance

Notes

Date JUL 18,2017

Notes


Date JUL 18,2017

Notes To view the additional information, Please Click Here


Date JUL 18,2017

Notes This village is located on the Milwaukee road, six miles north of Desplaines and four miles west of Shermer Station. In 1837 Wheeler & Daniels started a store here, and about the same time Joseph Filkins opened a hotel. Mr. Filkins also built the first house in the place. The lumber was brought from Kenni:cott's mill, about a mile south of Half Day. A second hotel was opened about the year 1840, by James Parlor.The post-office was established in 1836, with Joseph Filkins for Postmaster. Mr. Filkins was succeeded by Charles Daniels, and he by J. L. McDuffy. John M. Schaeffer was the next Postmaster; and then Charles Vogt, Fred. Stryker and Charles Hunsinger, each in turn, the latter being the present official, appointed early in 1883. The first blacksmith here was a Mr. Shepard or Shepherd, as stated elsewhere, in 1838 ; the second was Asher G. Skinner, in the same year, and the third was E. K. Bench, recently deceased, in 1842 or 1843. A church, the only one in the village, was erected in 1868, by the Lutherans, at a cost of about $1,500. It is a one-story frame, with a short steeple. This village attained its present size quite a number of years ago, and not being near a railroad is not likely to grow very materially in the near future. The chief events of importance in the recent history of the place have been the prosecution of various parties for the illegal selling of intoxicating drinks by George Strong, one of the oldest settlers of the town of Wheeling, and a strong foe of intemperance. The village now contains two general stores, three hotels, two blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, two shoe shops, one brewery, one physician, a Lutheran Church, and about 200 inhabitants.


Date AUG 8,2017

Notes Internal Use Only


Date AUG 8,2017

Notes To view the additional information, Please Click Here